Thursday, December 31, 2009

Old Friends...

Today was a day to celebrate the most cherished kind of friend in my book, old ones.  I'm not talking age, but those friends with whom no matter how long it's been, you just pick right up where you left off. 

I had lunch with two friends from high school today.  I hadn't seen Sara in two years, even though she lives in the same town as me, and hadn't seen Shemaiah in at least eight years.  We had a nice time catching up and filling Maiah in on the small town life.  So many things change, but then again, so many don't. 

After that, I headed to Crystal's to meet up and head to DM's house.  I was a little early, Sheena was right on time, and Crys was running late (thanks to a call from a friend headed to town this weekend).  Once we got on the road, Michael called and changed up the plans because his roommate is under the weather.  And yet somehow, we ended up singing for his Wednesday night service.  It was so nice to sing with my girls again.  One of the best parts of my holiday, in fact.  And Michael's church people were so gracious and sweet, especially Phyllis, who is exactly what Crys will be like in 50 years, if not sooner.

I've told Michael this before, but everytime I see him function as a "grown up" pastor, I think how lucky we are to know such a man of God.  We all met 10 years ago, and it wasn't necessarily love at first sight.  He was the first guy I knew who really challenged my way of thinking about God and worship, and at times that really bugged me.  But, as years passed, and we matured (some of us faster than others), I learned to love that about him.  He can play a guitar (but we remember the days of three songs on repeat) and he teaches his congregation about God, not just preaches.  It's obvious that they love him.  Michael's had a hard way to go in the last few years, and I find that unfair because good people aren't supposed to have awful things happen to them.  (I know that's not how it works, but a girl can dream, right?)  If I didn't have such an abiding love and respect for him before, I certainly do now.  And I truly believe that things are going to be alright, because even Job got a happy ending eventually.  As much crap as we give him about the way he dresses (holey jeans with plaid pj pants underneath, really??), or a million other things (mostly because we can), I felt like it was time to put some love out in the atmosphere for him.  DM, I don't know what us girls would do without you.  After all, every comedianne needs a straight man or the jokes just aren't as funny.  Nothing but love for you...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...