Monday, March 29, 2010

The Post That Ends My Potential Political Career

I want to begin this by saying that while I teach government, I dislike politics in general.  The whole thing is just kind of disgusting.  (However, I was in the Capitol once and John McCain said "Hi" to me, but that's another story entirely.)  Anyway, consider that my disclaimer as I begin what will probably be the one and only post political in nature on this blog.

I am a conservative for the most part.  I believe that we have to use common sense instead of deficit spending to fix the nation's problems.  However, I also find that politics and common sense don't really go together.  I think women in politics is great and necessary.  We make up half the country's population, ours is a representative government, so of course there should be women holding seats, all the way up to the presidency if the nation so chooses.  I find, though, that there are very few women in politics that I actually like.  Maybe it's the "evil" mainstream media creating a bias, maybe it's some deep-seeded issue I have with women in power, but I think the real problem I have is with the women I see advancing. 

Sarah Palin makes me cringe.  And I know that as a girl from a small midwestern town with a conservative Christian background, I'm supposed to want to be just like her.  I should want to wear glasses like hers, and spin my own line of cutesy sayings about farm animals and cosmetics.  I should be clapping every time she starts talking about shooting something and I should pre-Tivo her upcoming reality show.  (Disclaimer:  I don't actually have a Tivo. Opinion regarding disclaimer:  I don't think serious politicians should have reality shows.)  But I just can't bring myself to do it.  I know that politics is one big dog and pony show.  I know that, just like in enterainment, "you gotta have a gimmick."  But her faux-folksy gimmick just doesn't work for me.  People want to elect her president and she couldn't even finish her governorship!  This is not what America needs, even if she is good for ratings.  But it's not just her.  I'm equal opportunity.  There are women on the other side of the politcal spectrum that bug me too (Nancy Pelosi, I'm looking at you!).  I just had to get this off my chest as the media spectacle seems to be reaching a fever pitch again.

And I don't really care if people agree with me on this or not.  This is not a feminist rant.  It's just one more thing in a long list of absolutely crazy things that bug me, and maybe only me.

1 comment:

  1. Nope. Not a big Palin fan, either. She makes me feel dumber for being conservative. But I'm also with you regarding Pelosi.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...