Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Progress

So I have been exercising for a week.  And I have been working really hard.  And this morning, I got on my scale for my first self-imposed "weigh-in" to find...(drumroll, please)...I weigh exactly what I did last week.  Don't get me wrong.  I am not discouraged.  I know that I have lost inches because my pants are fitting better and I have started to get these cute indentations in my calves and whatnot.  But that didn't mean that I didn't stand around muttering "Seriously" to the walls in my bathroom and reassuring myself that muscle is heavier than fat.  Oh well. 

The thing is, I love exercising.  I don't feel right when I don't go and I find myself looking ahead in my schedule trying to find ways to make sure I can carve out even a little time.  I am in a bit of a dilemma because I need a haircut, but scheduling one would mean I would have to miss time in the gym.  (And if you know me, you know how I feel about my hair!)  But what I know about myself is this:  I am terrible with self-discipline.  If I am exercising on my own, I just won't do it if I don't feel like it.  I've found that going out to the gym is a different animal though.  My competitive nature takes over and I want to do more time on the eliptical because I know someone else did.  If you did 10 reps at 40 lbs., I'm going to do 20.  Childish, yes.  But it's working.  And I will take what I can get at this point. 

If I count correctly, it's just over 16 weeks until Matt and Mel's wedding, 109 days to be exact.  This means that if I get in a minimum of 4 hours of exercise per week (though I would like to start moving that towards 6 p/wk), I would be looking at least 64 more hours of exercise.  Surely, somewhere in  that 64 hours, I will see some real progress.   (Where were these math skills when I was in school, by the way?)  I am choosing to be positive this week.  And if that scale doesn't show me some results next week, I may be choosing to throw it out the window...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...