Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Why My Job Matters

I love being a teacher.  I tried to run from it in college and there just wasn't any way to.  It is what I was born to do.  But with that said, sometimes it feels like it doesn't really matter.  It's easy to get frustrated and wonder if anything you do actually sticks with those who come into your room.  I'm not just talking about the curriculum.  Sure, I'd like them to remember the interworkings of our government or the literary elements.  But what I really hope to show them is how to live.  I want to be an example of how to handle life.  I want to show these kids, who are going to school in the very same school I graduated from, that they can be successful, that they are talented, that the world really is their's for the taking.

And today, I got the sweetest reminder of why all of this matters.  One of my students (I call myself her "School Mama"), tagged me as someone she looks up to.  That is why I do what I do.  I just pray that I am worthy of that kind of honor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...