Monday, October 4, 2010

The American Gossip Epidemic

I have always loved celebrities.  From as far back as I can remember I was fascinated by the glamour and glitz, watched the award shows, practiced my own speeches.  I still read People magazine (mostly online) and know a little too much about some celebrities.  But, the older I get, the more I see that we have become a sensationalized culture.  I am not one who regularly uses my blog for the big news issues, but I don't think you can hear about the death of Rutgers student, Tyler Clementi, and not have an opinion.  It doesn't come down to where you stand on homosexuality, it comes down to where we are as a culture.   If we are what we consume, we aren't much.  And trust me, I'm including myself in that "we."  But don't just take my word for it.

There's an actress from the show One Tree Hill, Bethany Joy Galeotti, who says it a lot better than I do.  So please hop over to her blog and read what she has to say on the matter of gossip and the American hunger for it. 

I don't want to continue to contribute to this problem.  When I think about these students who believed that taking their own lives was the only way to deal, I can't help but think of the kids in my life.  I love to think that something like this wouldn't happen here, but it could.  As a society, we have become mean, pettty people, and we are influencing an entire generation by what we read, watch, and repeat about others.  We can only be responsible for our choices, but I know what I'm choosing.  What about you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...