Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Outsiders

My 8th graders just started reading The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.  I didn't read it until I was in one of my college classes, but it remains one of my favorite books.  I love the voice of the narrator, the descriptions of each character, the themes, everything.  There are countless moments that make me cry, or laugh, or think and I just love how books can do that to us.  My kids were amazed when I shared that Hinton was only 16 when she wrote the book, and even though we are only through Chapter 2, even my more reluctant readers are eating it up.  Other favorites (YA Lit and Grown-Up books) include:
  • The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters by Elisabeth Robinson
  • Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Patterson
  • The four Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Books by Anne Brashares
  • Bookends by Jane Green
  • Pretty much any book by Jennifer Weiner, Jen Lancaster, or Rebecca Wells
  • The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan
  • The Scandalous Summer of Sissy LeBlanc by Loraine Despres
I never quite got into all the classics, obviously.  But these are some pretty good books, even if they do lean a little too heavy on the old Chick Lit.  So the question is, my dear people, what is your favorite book?  It doesn't have to be young adult lit, but it certainly can be.  I would love to hear from you in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. I just read Gone with the Wind and loved it! I like Trumpet of the Swan as a kids book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually never read either of those books, Taylor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just like your students when we had to read it. The blurb sounded really boring but when we got reading I loved it! The ending made me cry heaps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you, Rebecca! I was reading aloud in class and was almost crying today. (And we are only in the third chapter!) I don't think this is a good sign, since the ending always gets me too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...