Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day 24: My Town

While I do live in a tiny town now, I didn't actually grow up in one.  I lived on my family's farm for the first 20+ years of my life.  While we didn't actually live on the homeplace that's been in my mom's family for over 100 years, my front yard was measured in acres, and we roamed quite a bit of it.  We had three ponds at our disposal and I remember going fishing on warm summer days.  My cousin and I would go on four-wheeler rides and pick Easter flowers, drive through creeks and just generally explore.  In the winter, we had a great time sledding down many hills.  (And only have two cautionary tales, so I think we came out okay!)  It was a good way to grow up. 

There are times I think it might have been interesting to grow up in a city.  I would have loved to be close to museums, zoos, culture.  But I was lucky to have grandparents and parents who made sure that I got plenty of that in my life too.  I don't really feel like a missed a thing.  In fact, I remember visiting cities and thinking about how nice it would be when I got back to the slower pace of home. 

I'm a country girl, deep down.  Just don't expect me to bait my own hook.  Worms are gross.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...