Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Socially Awkward Behavior and Other Staples of My Life

Not that you would know from all the posting that's been going on here, but there has been a lot going on around these parts recently.  I've been thankful that I had banked and scheduled most of the 30-Day Challenge ahead of time, otherwise I probably wouldn't have done it much. 

On Saturday, a colleague passed away from cancer.  She'd put up an unbelievably strong fight, but she finally reached the point where she just couldn't anymore.  Malesa had been my kindergarten co-teacher (along with Mom), had worked at the school for 29 years in fact, including all the ones I've been there as a teacher.  She was one of the quietest women I've ever known, and when she did speak, you really had to listen to hear her soft, sweet voice.  She was one of my Auntie B's group of best friends from childhood, and their friendship remained strong through it all.  Her daughter was one of the "hall babies,"  the teacher's kids, and is the same age as Matt.  At the visitation, I found myself without words for her.  What do you say to someone who just lost their mom so young?  Whose mom will never get to see her grandchild grow?  So, I did my normally socially awkward thing and rambled about my hair and how sorry I was and goodness only knows what else.  Good to know you can always count on some things...

There has also been lots of  basketball, which translates mostly to working the concession stand in my life (oh, processed nacho cheese, bain of my existence).  We had one of the biggest games of the season last night, which meant there was much to keep us busy.  My boys didn't come out on the winning side, but I was so proud.  They played a great ballgame.  I just love basketball season! 

And today, I ran to see the ever fabulous Laurie at my favorite shop, as she was nice enough to put a bucket back for me for our wine-making venture at Grandma's.  I, of course, couldn't stop at just the bucket and also purchased this guy (because seriously, how badly did a need a red cow-shaped creamer!)

After a quick shopping expedition in the highly overheated mall, I've made it back home.  And I'm pretty much planning on spending the rest of my evening doing Thanksgiving prep!  I'm going to all my traditional places, so I'm sure I will have some things to share this weekend!  (I will not, however, be participating in Black Friday, because shopping should be leisure and not an endurance sport.)  I'm thankful for SO many blessings God's placed in my life, and not the least of those is you, my people!  Have a great Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. That is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I love it! Maybe because it's a little odd, perhaps, but I just had to have it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...