Thursday, February 17, 2011

Having A Moment: The Role Model Edition

It's finally happened.  Billy Ray Cyrus is voicing his concern over his daughter's behavior in an article in GQ.  Personally, I find this article from MSN about it even more interesting.  I've said for a while now that Miley seemed to be on the Lindsay Lohan Expressway about to make an exit on to Britney Spears Ave.  And that's really sad.

But if you really want to get me going, tell me about a celebrity whose business revolves around the attention and purchasing power of children, but who says they are not a role model.  I hate to break it to you, but you are, even if you would rather not be.  It's not like this is a new problem.  Every generation has their young stars that take off with such promise, but then burn out in a blaze of the fast-and-loose lifestyle.  I get that Miley is a kid, and that she is growing up in front of the cameras, but those cameras are also how she got to be a celebrity in the first place.  And while she may now be an adult who makes her own choices, some of the responsibility for the mess that she's in does fall on her parents' shoulders.  Parents are not supposed to be your friends, first and foremost.  It just doesn't work that way, in my opinion.  I wish there were more young celebs who chose the route that Dakota Fanning (and her family) have.  She continues to be a teen who also does movies instead of the other way around.  And I think that will benefit her more with every passing year.

What disturbs me most is that we are creating a culture that truly believes that there are no consequences for their behavior.  And if you want something that's really scary, think about the consequences of that.  They think that there are an infinite number of chances to get things right, and that there should be no punishment if they do wrong.  My friends and I have discussed this at length, and I honestly believe that it comes down to this:  There is always forgiveness, but even the forgiven have to deal with the consequences of their actions.  I praise God for parents who held me accountable, and for friends who do the same today.  But I just can't help but wonder what is going to happen to the next generation (and to Miley for that matter) if no one is willing to do that for them?

2 comments:

  1. I agree, a lot of your parents decisions shape you. Well they have shaped her to make a bit of a sham about herself. I dislike all these young stars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if you want to go even further back, I like the way Shirley Temple's parents handled making movies. She didn't even know she was a star! But those days are long gone. So sad.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...