Friday, July 8, 2011

Artist Spotlight: Lori McKenna

My life is a grocery store line
A “We’ll be just fine”
Don’t know how we survive, but we do
My life is an early spring snow
The last thread of hope
That I just keep hanging on to

My life is pieces of paper that I’ll get back to later
I’ll write you a story, how I ended up here
Why the little things make us and how long it takes us
To figure out what matters the most. . . . .

                                Lori McKenna/Barry Dean  "The Most"

I have loved Lori McKenna since I saw her on Oprah.  She was there because Faith Hill used three of her songs on her Fireflies album including the title track, which was one of my favorites.  I bought her album out at the time, Unglamorous, listened to it once and decided that it wasn't my thing.  But, several years later,I came across her newest album, Lorraine, which you can find out more about on her website (and can also buy on iTunes and Amazon). 

I haven't been able to stop listening to Lorraine since I downloaded it and have even discovered that Unglamorous is amazing as well.  I chalk it up to being at a completely different place in my life and in my musical tastes, because I don't think Lori McKenna could possibly be any better.  Vocally, she's much like Patty Griffin, another favorite of mine, but lyrically, she's unmatched.  I can't think of another songwriter today whose lyrics are so spot on about what it's like to love and lose.  I'm tearing up just thinking about some of my favorites. 

I'm basically saying all of that to say this--if you haven't given her a shot, take a listen.  She may be the perfect fit for you, too!

Update:  Lori just posted this brand new song on her YouTube channel.  (Mamas:  You may want to go get a Kleenex before you watch.  Just sayin')  Thought I'd share!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...