Friday, August 5, 2011

Kelly's Show Us Your Life: Blogging Tips

This makes me laugh because goodness knows that I am not a blogging expert.  But, I have this blog for a while and gained a few followers who weren't my besties, so maybe I have a little something to offer.

  1. Find a blog rhythm that's comfortable for you.  Blogging every day is ideal, but it might feel a little overwhelming, especially if you are just starting out. 
  2. This ties into #1, but quality wins out over quantity every time.  If you are posting every day but there's nothing there, what good does it do?  And on that note, blog about mix of things.  The bloggers I like to read the most are the ones who mix funny and serious posts.
  3. Be yourself.  Well, as yourself as you can be on the internet.  I've found that when I relax and just talk about things I've been thinking about or things that are happening in my life, I get the most comments and hits. 
  4. Figure out how much you are willing to share about your real life before you blog.  It's also not a bad idea to talk to the people you intend to feature (AKA your family and friends) to see what they are comfortable with.  It may be necessary to come up with some code names or some may not want to be featured at all.  Honor their requests.  There's no need to let the whole world know everything about your life.
  5. Find a blogging community of some sort that you love and play along.  I've did the A to Z Challenge in April, and while it was more work than I usually put into blogging, it was a way to meet new people.  I also participate in Joyce's Wednesday Hodgepodge and Kelly's Show Us Your Life (obviously). 
  6. Blog because you love it and have something to share and not for the stats.  I am a stat checker because data makes me happy.  But I don't breathe into a paper sack if I don't like what I see.  If you are doing it for yourself, then the rest doesn't matter.
  7. I don't put pictures in every post.  But I do try to keep things mixed up.  I love to add links for more information about a topic and pictures when they are appropriate and available.
  8. Read lots of other blogs.  Obviously, you want to be careful about copying another blogger's style, but I think that the more knowledgeable you are about what's out there, the more fun you can have.  Reading other great bloggers inspires my own style!
  9. Think before you blog.  Just because you are fired up about something doesn't mean it's blog appropriate.  Either use the 48-hour rule (you write, and then revisit before you post) or have someone read over that is removed from the situation.  Just because something really annoyed you on Tuesday at work doesn't mean it still will on Thursday.  (This is especially true if you are writing about a person that annoys you!)
I can't wait to read what everyone else has to say!  Feel free to add your additions in the comments or link up with Kelly's blog yourself!

7 comments:

  1. I love your 48 hour rule!! What a wonderful way to put such an important aspect of blogging. I think it probably applies to a lot of areas of life. Great tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, DeeAnna! As someone who sometimes speaks before I think, I had to do something or this blog would be one giant rant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the 48 hour rule. I use my husband as my "editor" to run ideas by and lots of times he says not to post them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like #3 - goes back to what we learned in Kindergarten! You will write better as yourself than trying to be like someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree the 48 hour rule is wonderful for blogs and life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All great tips! And, I am now a follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true. I totally agree with your headline! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...