Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Why You Should Be Watching Parenthood

I love television.  And I don't buy into the idea that saying that outloud means you are fat or stupid, either.  (I mean, sure I'm a little fluffy but I don't think TV is who to blame.  I'm going with high caloric intake with a severe aversion to exercise.)  But anyway, I have one show that I love so much I don't even mind that it makes me do the ugly cry on a regular basis.  That show is Parenthood.

Now in its third season, Parenthood is loosely based on the 80's movie by the same name.  You have a large-ish crazy family all trying to just survive raising their young.  It operates very much in reality, in a "Have these people been listening from the closet?" sort of way that Friday Night Lights always did.  (Which shouldn't be surprising because they share some of the same people, namely Jason Katims, the executive producer of both shows.)  The show is funny and heartbreaking and superbly acted.  It has a large cast (including Lauren Graham, Peter Krause and Craig T. Nelson, to name a few), but it doesn't feel disjointed in the way some emsemble shows do.  (Looking at you, Grey's Anatomy.)

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, you should get with it!  Seasons 1 and 2 are available on DVD, and season 3 is airing Tuesday nights at 9 P.M. Central.  And not like I should really have to mention this to my HUGE reading audience, but nobody is paying me to say this.  Excellent writing like mine cannot be bought.  (BAH-hah-ha!)

2 comments:

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...