Friday, December 23, 2011

Crank Up The Christmas Music!

I'm one of those people who actually like Christmas music, but even I can't settle for the traditional.  I mean, the staples of Christmas are great, but I am always looking for fun covers or cute new songs and since I haven't done a music post in forever, and Christmas weekend is upon us, I thought I would list a few of my favorites, old and new. (In my usual "song" - artist - album format.)

  • "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" - Sufjan Stevens - Songs For Christmas - Okay, this is technically not a Christmas song, but it is on a Christmas album and I would gladly listen to this version every single day all year long.
  • "All Alone On Christmas" - Darlene Love - Underground Garage Presents: Christmas A Go-Go - I remember hearing this song from the Home Alone 2 and immediately loved it.  I think I even sang it in choir in high school one time. 
  • "You're All I Want For Christmas" - Bing Crosby - The Voice of Christmas - Bing is known for his Christmas classics, but there's something wonderfully sweet about this lesser known cut.
  • "Very Merry Christmas" - Dave Barnes - Very Merry Christmas - Love Dave Barnes.  This song feels like Christmas with the family and it is a new favorite.  (I think I downloaded it for free from iTunes last year, in fact!)
  • "Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep" - Diana Krall - Christmas Songs - I love the Rosemary Clooney version from White Christmas, too, but there's something special about this version.  It sounds like a warm winter blanket feels.
  • "Jingle Bells" and "Sleigh Ride" - Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas - What's not to love about Ella and Christmas classics? 
  • "Naughty Naughty Children (Better Start Actin' Nice) - Grace Potter - Christmas with Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - Just downloaded this song this week and it completely cracked me up!  Love Grace Potter all year long, but this song is just too much fun!
  • Any song - James Taylor - At Christmas - I tried to pick, people, but this is my favorite Christmas album ever.  His version of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" is my absolute favorite, but they are all so good!  As far as less common covers, I like "Some Children See Him" and "Go Tell It On The Mountain."  And "Auld Lang Syne" makes me tear up every time.  Just go but this whole album and you will see what I mean!
  • "Santa Claus Is Back In Town" - Jonny Lang - A Very Special Christmas, Volume 3 - Jonny Lang is underrated as an artist on the whole.  I have several of his tracks, but I really like this one.  It's him doing what he does best.
  • "The Man With The Bag," "Baby It's Cold Outside" and "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" -Lee Ann WomackThe Season For Romance - Again, this whole album is great!  She's known as a country single, but does most of this album uses a more traditional Big Band sound, and I love it!  Listen to it every year!
  • "Jesus Born On This Day" and "Jesus Oh What A Wonderful Child" - Mariah Carey - Merry Christmas - These are not the most famous songs from the well-played Christmas album, but they are totally my favorites.  I think that Mariah is best singing with the full choir in the gospel style.  (Not going to catch me listening to much Mariah Carey otherwise!)
  • "Peace" - Norah Jones - A Very Special Acoustic Christmas - This would be perfect for a cozy night in.
  • "Snowed In With You" - Over The Rhine - Snow Angels - I found this on a recommendation from Jaime, who has guest blogged here before.  She's a big Over the Rhine fan, and this song doesn't disappoint. 
  • "Covered In Snow" - William Fitzsimmons - Covered In Snow (Single) - I love the imagery in this song and there's something about his voice that is just so calming and sweet.
  • "O Holy Night" - Glee Cast ft. Lea Michele - Glee: The Music - The Christmas Album - Say what you want about Glee, there are certainly talented singers on the show, none more so than Lea Michele.  I'm a sucker for enunciation and good diction and she manages to do this in a way that is not annoying, so even better.  You can tell she's a Broadway girl.
  • "Christmas This Year" - TobyMac ft. Leigh Nash - Christmas This Year (Single) - Leigh Nash is not my favorite, but I do like her with TobyMac on this song.  This just kind of makes me want to dance around and sing along.
  • "The Heart Of Christmas" - Matthew West - The Heart Of Christmas - Matthew West rarely disappoints, and this song certainly doesn't.  Through all the insanity let us not forget the real heart of Christmas, the birth of the Savior.
  • "I Want a Hippotamus For Christmas" - Gayla Peevey - Vintage Children's Favourites - It's not Christmas until I have heard this song.  And I realize that's kind of crazy, but such is life.  I don't really want a hippo, though.  I'd rather have a giraffe!  :)
There you have the not-so short list of some of my favorites!  I probably won't post until next week, so Merry Christmas to each of you!  Can't wait to hear about your Christmas weekend adventures!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...