Friday, January 27, 2012

This Week In Pop Culture

I haven't done one of these updates in a little while and you know how much I love my pop/entertainment news!  So, here's the scoop on what's happening this week...buckle up...

  • The Oscars are coming---Melissa McCarthy is nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for Bridesmaids!  Did you get that, people?  Sookie could win an Oscar!  She's up against some insane talent, too.  This is the one category where I will be happy with pretty much any of the winners. (Though it's hard to bet against Octavia Spencer or Jessica Chastain from The Help!) But I guess being nominated really is the biggest honor, right?
  • New on DVD---50/50 is out on video.  I loved this movie and couldn't stop myself from purchasing it this week.  (It was on sale, and shop when I am stressed!)  For a movie about cancer, it's pretty funny.  And everyone's week could use a little Joseph Gordon-Levitt!
  • Paula Deen's a diabetic. --- People need to back off my not-really-but-I totally-wish Nana!  She's had the disease for three years.  It's really not anyone's business, and there certainly shouldn't be a poll on a very popular entertainment website as to if it's okay if she eats a cheeseburger!  Just saying.
  • Because you can't say enough about Emma Stone---This article cracked me up!  The girl does have some ridiculous eyes.  (Green eyes are so much cooler than the other colors, or maybe she's just cooler than other people...)
  • The Sundance Film Festival---It's that time of year when all the critics and other movers and shakers about Park City tell us all about the movies that we will be talking about for the coming year.  Who will be the next indie star?  I'm hearing great things about Melanie Lynskey's new film and about Elizabeth Olsen (yes, little sister to the twins).  You can catch up on what you've missed here.
  • Gossip Girl turns 100 (episodes)---This is my favorite guilty pleasure (and I have many), but Blair is getting married on Monday.  Or is she?  Apparently there are many twists and turns in this episode, including one big surprise.  I know what I want to happen, but I can't wait to see how it all plays out.
  • Glee's Tribute to Michael--I know that not everyone is a fan (hi, Amber!), but I feel like the show has really come back to its Season 1 roots.  And this episode looks incredible!  (And I'm not even a Michael Jackson fan!)  They cover an impressive section of his catalog and oh the dancing!  Even if I have to catch it via my parents' DVR, I am so in.
  • One For The Money is out today---Stephanie Plum comes to life in the movie covering the first book.  I haven't read any of the reviews, but I am totally going to try to convince my mom to go see it this weekend.  (I don't think it will be that hard if I can pry her away from her new grandbaby!)
What in pop culture caught your eye this week?  I know not everyone's a junkie like me, but I'm sure I'm not alone right?  Either way, have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing One for the Money...I hope it doesn't disappoint since I read the books. I like the Katherine Heigl casting I think.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...