Thursday, March 8, 2012

For The Love Of Books

I have always loved books.  I was a reader from the start, the only one of my siblings to inherit my parents' love for the written word.  I have more bookshelves in my house than any other kind of furniture, proudly displaying a collection of most memoirs and "chick lit."  Some may turn up their noses, but I love them all. 

It's been a long time since I have been completely absorbed by a book, though.  I mean, I love Stephanie Plum just as much as the next girl, but I can pick up and put down those books week after week and never really feel like I am missing anything.  Last night, however, I found a book that has completely captivated me, Sisterhood Everlasting by Anne Brashares.  Now, the original Sisterhood series was supposed to be for young adults, but it hit me at a time when I was living a very similar life to Carmen, Tibby, Bridget and Lena.  I devoured every word, watched the movies (thrilled by the cast, bummed by the mish-mash of the narratives), and safely tucked them away on the shelf.  I didn't even know that another book existed, which is odd because I tend to know these things.  However, my beloved Target didn't let my lack of knowledge impede my love for these girls and Brashares, thank goodness! 

I read 70 pages before I could bear to even put it down last night.  And I'm well beyond that now.  While Brashares has stayed true to the characters, I am amazed with how different the tone of this book is.   They are no longer the girls from the first four books, but are women turning 30 and trying to figure out how to become functional adults.  Wonder why that would reasonate around here? 

I have more I want to share, but I am trying to collect all of those thoughts.  I'm sure they will come, and when they do, I will share.  Until then, I will be reading. 

What are your favorite books?

1 comment:

  1. I loved the originals too. I'll have to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...