Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge - 5/30


1. What can the average citizen do to honor a military veteran and/or those currently serving?

I think there are so many things.  You can donate time or money to the USO or other organization like Operation Homefront.  You can write letters and send goodies to those who are serving.  You can visit the local veterans' home and just listen.  It doesn't have to be something extraordinary.  The simple things work just fine.


2. Besides a flag what is something you own that is red, white and blue?

I have a really great recruitment poster reprint on my living room wall.  I loved the ad a long time before I actually owned the poster, and it's extra sweet because my Grandpa Gus was in the Navy.  You can read about how Amber got it for me at my favorite antiques place by clicking here!

3. Does love really conquer all?

I think it does.  I don't think that love is always enough, but I think that real love stands the test of time.  My parents are celebrating 36 years of marriage today, and they have been together for nearly 40 years.  Both of my grandparents had long happy marriages as well.  I have seen some of my friends who are married survive unimaginable sadness and come out on the other side stronger.  I know next to nothing about what love really is, but I have a lot of superb examples to look to.

4. Strawberry shortcake or blueberry pie?

Strawberry shortcake!  I don't care for blueberries.  And there's nothing better than fresh, juicy strawberries, homemade pie crust and a little whipped cream!

5. Do you share personal stuff with your hairdresser?

My hairdresser has done my hair for the whole of my 20s.  She is a dear friend and we do share personal things.  Hairdressers are like bartenders, they are there to listen to your secrets.  Besides, if I will let you cut and color my hair, you have my trust!

 

6. Does money lead to selfishness?

I think it can, but I don't think it has too.  Some of the people I've met with the most money are also the most generous with it.  And not just for the tax deduction.

7. What piece of furniture in your home most needs replacing or refinishing?

If you come here often, you know how I am with my big ideas.  Right now, I really want to replace my TV stand and end table in my living room, and the side table in my bedroom.  And my bedroom dressers need refinishing.  And I would really love to refinish the chairs that match my kitchen table.

8. Insert your own random here.

Vacation Week Two is going swimmingly.  I'm not particularly productive, but it's been a pretty good time so far.  (By the way, are you guys watching Hatfields and McCoys?  It's fascinating.)  There is shopping and wineries coming up yet this week, so stay tuned!

8 comments:

  1. Lots of blueberry haters in the HP : ) So far everyone has picked shortcake. I hope they replay the Hatfields and McCoys...I forget to set the DVR and we missed the first night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will! Isn't replaying things the whole point of cable? :) There's something about the texture of blueberries I just can't take. I don't really like rasperberries or blackberries either.

      Delete
  2. We did start that series, but had to end it early because we were falling asleep.
    At like 10pm.
    Because we were busy building rabbit fences all day.
    Because we are old and lame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I'm old and lame just because. At least you had an excuse! You can get it on DVD soon apparently.

      Delete
  3. Blueberries are good in muffins - have to say I am a strawberry fan.

    Hopping by from my Hodge Podge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE that poster. I don't think I own anything that's red, white and blue but I think that poster is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary to your parents! :) Continue enjoying your vaca :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great idea to visit the Veteran's Homes. When I would take my f-i-l to his appointments at the VA some of the people there would just stare with such lonliness in their eyes. So sad.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...