Friday, June 8, 2012

Just Move

This has pretty much been my life motto:


Except here's the problem, I am getting to the point where even my fat clothes are tight.  And it sucks.  I found a picture of me the other day which was taken almost exactly four years ago, when I was very close to the thinnest I have been since high school.

Now two things about this:  1) I still had unfortunate fat rolls.  2) I was on prescription drugs to make me lose weight (in all, I ended up losing almost 70 pounds)  that eventually contributed to a really ugly depression.  Still, it wasn't that long ago when I could wear clothes from American Eagle, even though that's irrelevant because they are no longer age appropriate.

Anyway, I say all that to say this:  I need to get serious about eating right and exercising.  I feel better when I do it.  I have so much more energy when I am doing what we are supposed to do.  And I don't just need to do it because it makes me feel better, but because I have all of the bad diseases in my family history, and if I don't want to have them myself, it's time to fight.  (Because I'm not getting any younger, even if I am not that old!)

Sure, I've said all this before, which is why this post isn't really about the grand gestures.  I was actually encouraged to get with it by something very simple.  My childhood friend (in that I can't actually remember a time in my life when I didn't know her) has been challenging everyone to get moving by posting daily exercise challenges.  And my goal is to do those challenges and whatever else I feel up to for the entire summer.  Weight Watchers has worked for me in the past if I can stick with it, so I may try to add that as well.  But my plan is to just take this one pound (and one crunch) at a time.  I don't even have a scale, nor do I intend to get one because I get number obsessed.  I will know by how my clothes feel and how I feel.  My big goal, which I hesitate to even really set, is to run a 5K by this time next year.  I don't know if I will do that, but it feels nice to have some kind of long-term goal in mind.

Wish me luck!  And have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck. That's a good way to look at it...one pound at a time. And not having a scale is a good thing. I always tell my daughter how your clothes feel on you is a good indication how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a scale at one of my jobs. It's evil. I avoid it like the plague. Good luck on your endeavor!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...