Monday, June 24, 2013

Day 24: My Town

I didn't grow up in a town. I was raised on the farm that the maternal side of my family has lived on for over 100 years. By the time I arrived on the scene, we only grew crops and raised cattle, and that even ended a few years before my grandfather's death. So, I didn't spend my childhood slopping hogs and doing farm chores. But I do enjoy fishing and big, red barns, so I guess that counts for something, right?

The town I live in now is small. I actually live in the house that my father was raised in. It's the kind of place where people stop and wave when you are out on a walk around town, and if they don't know who you are, they ask about your parents. It's safe and cozy, a little bit Mayberry, but in the best ways.

I sometimes think about what my life would have been like (or could still be like) if I left the security of my small town for something bigger. But, at the end of the day, I'm happy here. Sure, we might have to drive a while to get to a good mall, but I can see my family any time I want.  And that's a trade off I can live with.

1 comment:

  1. Being from DC, I can't imagine living in a small town. I don't think I'd make it very long in a small town, but I do love all that comes with that -- being known, a little Mayberry-ish as you say.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...